Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year Resolutions

Do people still make New Year resolutions?

I admit that my life has become so busy that I hardly notice the passing of the new year; work, work, work, pop cork, work... Am I alone? I doubt it. Maybe its the kids, etc., but I bet we've all become desensitised to big calendar moments as we become more and more driven by the little calendar events that crop up every week.

Well, I'm bucking the trend (on behalf of the Chicago Fire) and making up my New Year's Resolution list for the Fire. Here are the things that, I think, the Fire should resolve to change in the coming year.
  1. Keep Chris Rolfe under Contract. This guy is an amazing professional. We need him. Others will want him. Don't let him go. Keep him happy and productive.
  2. Get Marco Pappa into the lineup. I'm very premature in saying this, but I have the feeling that Marco could, just maybe, be the understudy we need to take over for Blanco when he leaves.
  3. Re-up Blanco for one more year. He's still exciting to watch and he's good for the team and the league. He gets more cheers and more boos than any other player in the MLS. He was the All Star MVP for a reason and we need him in the lineup.
  4. Figure out how to use Mapp in the system or trade him. I've been watching Mapp for 3 years and he's always on the verge of a break out. If Justin can't break out with us, trade him to another team and give him a chance in another system.
  5. Find some ridiculous speed - somewhere. Maybe Africa. Every other team seams to be finding speedy African talent. Maybe Nyarko (if that knee injury hasn't hobbled him). Maybe Carr. Whatever, we have McBride and Blanco. Great, but these guys are not going to win any races.

Well, that's five. More than I made for myself. How about you guys? Got some resolutions for the fire (or Section 108) for the New Year? Let's here 'em - post away!

No comments: